Unofficial results, according to Democratic Registrar of Voters Sandi Ayala:
Library referendum question passes.
Working Families Party Board of Education candidates Sauda Baraka and Maria Pereira are leading the Republicans. If this holds up, bad day for city GOP. BOE, under state law, has minority-party representation.
Dems sweep council and Board of Education seats.
Longfellow School, Library referendum vote, 103 yes, 46 no.
Longfellow School, Board of Education, Working Families Party candidates run 20 votes ahead of Republicans. BOE Dems, of course, win big. Democratic City Council candidates Sue Brannelly and Marty McCarthy win big as well at Longfellow and Black Rock.
Black Rock School, library vote, 452 yes, 194 no.
Roosevelt, library vote, 101 yes, 41 no.
Blackham, library vote, 145 yes, 128 no.
Dunbar School, library vote, 139 yes, 34 no.
It’s a good night for library supporters.
In Trumbull, Tim Herbst defeats Ray Baldwin.
In Stratford, John Harkins over Jim Miron.
In Monroe, Tom Buzi goes down.
Good day for suburban Republicans. Lauretti wins in Shelton.
In Bridgeport, for the first time in any town or borough in the state of Connecticut, voters today will decide whether one mil should fund library services. Library supporters found a little-known law that allows for this. The charter for the town of Bridgeport was not dissolved when the city was incorporated in 1836, thus a state judge ordered the city to place the referendum question on the ballot. Many city pols are working against this. They don’t want library books forced down their throat. Library supporters say we’re neglected, underfunded and it’s time to modernize.
City Council and Board of Education seats up for grabs. One thing’s for sure, the BOE will have lots of new faces to face off with Superintendent of Schools John Ramos.
If you hear of any kooky stuff let us know. Speaking of crazy stuff, Joel Speedy Gonzalez, former City Council member, set up an absentee ballot sting against South End District Leader Mitch Robles on Monday. Speedy is filing a Connecticut Elections Enforcement Commission complaint. More on that Wednesday. Another OIB moment.
Gomes On Leave
John Gomes, deputy chief administrative officer, has been placed on leave without pay pending an investigation for an altercation with police, according to the mayor’s office.
From Keila Torres, Connecticut Post.
One day after being charged with surly behavior and interfering with police dispatched to quiet a rowdy social club, Cape Verdean Association President John Gomes, also the city’s deputy chief administrative officer, claims Strategic Enforcement Team officers who arrested him unfairly targeted his club.
“I don’t even know how to handle this,” Gomes said Monday morning. “I’m amazed by the things that transpired and what I read [in the newspaper]. It’s so far from the truth.”
Gomes, 39, of Alpine Street, and club member Vincente Santos, 31, of Taft Avenue, were arrested early Sunday on charges of interfering with an officer and breach of peace for allegedly cursing at officers and threatening SET Sgt. John Evans. Santos was also charged with inciting to riot, while Gomes faces an additional charge of reckless endangerment.
SET officers, investigating a complaint about a loud party, cited the club with violating fire safety laws by allowing too many people in the clubhouse at 233 Linen Ave., failing to hang a permit in plain view, sale of liquor without a permit and refusal of cooperation by permittees and backers.
Gomes said he e-mailed Mayor Bill Finch on Monday morning to ask for a meeting to “clear things up.”
Why do I get the feeling Dems will dump on GOP U.S. Senate candidate Linda McMahon a lot in the next year? When you have $30 million to spend against Chris Dodd you’re gonna take lots of return fire.
From Daniela Altimari, Hartford Courant.
Asserting that World Wrestling Entertainment has made illegal in-kind campaign contributions to the U.S. Senate campaign of its former CEO Linda McMahon, state Democratic party Chairwoman Nancy DiNardo filed a complaint with the Federal Election Commission.
DiNardo says WWE staffers ordered YouTube to remove sexually-provocative WWE videos from its website after those videos became campaign fodder.
“A search of YouTube using the phrase ‘WWE’ continues to produce almost 500,000 results,” the complaint states. “Thus, it appears that WWE only ordered YouTube to remove the videos that may be damaging to Ms. McMahon’s campaign, and neglected to protect WWE’s other copyrighted material and intellectual property.”
UPDATE — Ed Patru, spokesman for the McMahon campaign, had this to say in response:
“It’s a baseless accusation and the campaign has complied with all FEC rules and regulations. This latest attack from Chris Dodd speaks volumes about just how worried he is about Linda’s campaign. Chris Dodd has an enormous credibility problem, and one of the reasons people don’t trust him is because of his apparent coordination with AIG executives in which he gave carte blanche to his political supporters instead of regulating them, and then arranged behind closed doors to have them receive millions in taxpayer-funded bonuses. It’s troubling that Chris Dodd’s political apparatus seems more concerned with watching wrestling videos on the Internet than restoring trust in government.”