The Board of Education Monday night, urged by Mayor Joe Ganim, restored bus routes that impact student walking distances to school.
The decision comes with the September 10 primary just two weeks away.
Statement from Ganim:
“I am pleased to hear this news that the Board has accepted our proposal put together with the City Council that will allow for the bus routes to be restored, as this also involves student safety. I appreciate the partnership with the Superintendent, the BOE, and our council members, and am looking forward to working on future projects that will have a positive impact for our students.”
From CT Post reporter Linda Conner Lambeck:
City students who qualified for school bus transportation last year will get it in the new school year that starts on Thursday.
In a stunning reversal, the city school board voted 7-2 on Monday to rescind a policy that would have forced high school students to walk up to 2.25 miles to school and elementary and middle school students up to 1.5 miles.
The board last week voted to rescind the policy but only on the condition that the City Council and Mayor Joseph Ganim agree to chip in $1.4 million toward the cost, this year and in the future.
Acting Schools Superintendent Michael Testani told the board that Ganim has told him he would not to commit to funding the annual expense beyond this year.
Full story here.
Video from Tony Barr’s Facebook page. He is challenging outgoing school board member Maria Pereira in a City Council primary.