From the mayor’s office:
Mayor Joe Ganim and the Department of Public Facilities today are reminding residents of the Leaf Collection guidelines that requires residents to place leaves, brush and grass clippings in containers to be ready for pickup on recycling day which occurs biweekly.
Leaves should be placed in brown paper leaf bags (like those displayed at left), garbage cans with no lids, or open top cardboard boxes. In order to be collected, Bridgeport residents MUST have their desired receptacle at the curbside on their day of recycling pickup, as the truck will pass by only once during that week. Once the truck passes it will NOT return until the following scheduled recycling collection day. These leaves are collected bi-monthly by the Roadway Department on the same day as your recycling collection. If you miss leaf collection in your neighborhood, you can always bring leaves to the transfer station.
2017 LEAF COLLECTION GUIDELINES:
Leaves, brush and grass clippings are on Connecticut’s list of mandatory recycling items. DO NOT MIX THESE WITH GARBAGE. The City of Bridgeport encourages you to compost at home and mulch your grass clippings into your lawn. The City of Bridgeport provides this service year-round.
1. Curbside by 6:00 a.m. on the recycling day.
2. Yard waste will be collected only in brown paper leaf bags, garbage cans with no lids, or open top cardboard boxes. DO NOT USE CITY TOTERS
3. Plastic bags, loose piles of brush and leaves, rocks, soil, and sand WILL NOT BE COLLECTED
4. Brush must be less than 4 feet in length and 6 inches or less in diameter. It must be tied up in bundles, no heavier than 50 lbs.
5. There is a 25-pound weight limit for bags and a 50-pound for cans. Please do not overload bags and cans.
6. Logs and stumps WILL NOT BE COLLECTED. They can be brought to the Transfer Station, 475 Asylum Street, Bridgeport, CT 06610.
7. If you believe your residence was missed for a Leaf Collection pick up. Please call the Bridgeport Department of Public Facilities on the same day at 203-576-7124.
Bridgeport Transfer Station Guidelines:
1. Yard waste may be brought loose or bagged
2. All containers–except brown paper leaf bags MUST BE EMPTIED AND REMOVED
3. All vehicles must display a city license or proof of residence. Example: tax bill, bank statement, rental or lease agreement, driver’s license.
4. Anyone caught dumping when site is closed will be fined and may lose dumping privileges.