From city Communications Director Av Harris:
Mayor Joe Ganim today announced that the Bridgeport Office of Emergency Management and Homeland Security will activate the city’s cold weather protocol Thursday through Saturday morning December 17, 2016 at 6:00 a.m. This means all Bridgeport public library branches and senior centers as well as the Greater Bridgeport Transit Terminal will be open during the day as warming centers. In addition, the United Congregational Church located at 877 Park Avenue will serve as an overflow shelter for anyone in need of a warm shelter during the extreme cold temperatures expected to impact the region for the next two days.
“With frigid weather expected to drop temperatures to sub-zero levels and extreme wind chill, everyone who needs shelter during the day or night will have a warm place to go and a warm bed to sleep in,” said Mayor Ganim. “We want to make sure everyone who needs a place to go will start making plans now. The cold weather protocol will be activated tomorrow will stay activated through at least Saturday.”
Warming Centers will be open during the day at the following locations and times:
· Greater Bridgeport Transit Bus Terminal – 710 Water St, Bridgeport CT (7:00am-8:00pm)
Senior Centers (Open only weekdays):
· East Side Senior Center- 1057 East Main St Bridgeport, CT (9:00am-4:30pm)
· Black Rock Senior Center- 2676 Fairfield Ave Bridgeport, CT (9:00am-4:30pm)
· North End Bethany Senior Center – 20 Throme St Bridgeport CT (9:00am-4:30pm)
Bridgeport Public Library Branches:
· Main Branch – 925 Broad Street, 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Thursday-Saturday, 1:00-5:00 p.m. Sunday
· Black Rock Branch – 2705 Fairfield Avenue, 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Thursday-Saturday
· Newfield Branch – 1230 Stratford Avenue, 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Thursday-Saturday
· North Branch – 3455 Madison Avenue, 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Thursday-Saturday
· Old Mill Green Branch – 1677 East Main Street, 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Thursday-Saturday
For anyone in need of shelter overnight who does not already have a place to stay in Bridgeport, the United Congregational Church located at 877 Park Avenue will be available. In order to register for that location, people can arrive at the Fairfield Apartments on 1062 Fairfield Avenue, Bridgeport, CT 06604 from 4pm-6pm.
· After 9:00 pm, those in need of shelter can go directly to Prospect House located at 392 Prospect St, Bridgeport, CT 06604 or call 211.
· After 9:00pm – those in need can call 211 or go to Prospect House to be put into the overflow shelter at United Congregational Church. The church however does not accept walk-ins without going through intake at either the Fairfield Apartments or Prospect House.