From Brian Lockhart, CT Post
Over 600 businesses and non-profits have applied for a share of $25 million in federal coronavirus relief funds the city has made available.
“We got bombarded the last two days” of the application process, Tom Gaudett, an aide to Mayor Joe Ganim, said late last week. “It was very successful.”
The deadline was 2 p.m. Aug. 31. Now 12 different committees, from five to as many as a dozen members each of elected officials, municipal staff and community leaders, will be tasked with sifting through all of the paperwork to begin awarding the money.
“The committees will begin work this month,” Gaudett said. “The goal is to have some transparency around the process–a diversity of viewpoints–to make sure this money is put out in a responsible way and in a way that we are giving out the money as widely and effectively as possible.”
He said applicants will gradually be notified about whether they qualified or if they need to present additional information.
“We’re not trying to trip people up,” Gaudett emphasized. “If people missed things they were supposed to include, we’re giving them the opportunity to remedy those issues. We’re happy to do it to make sure everyone has a fair shot at this.”
Full story here.