From city Communications Director Av Harris:
Mayor Joe Ganim today and the Bridgeport Office of Emergency Management and Homeland Security have activated the city’s cold weather protocol for the entire President’s Day Weekend. This means all Bridgeport public library branches and senior centers as well as the Greater Bridgeport Transit Terminal will be open during the day as warming centers. In addition, the United Congregational Church located at 877 Park Avenue will serve as an overflow shelter for anyone in need of a warm shelter during the extreme cold temperatures expected to impact the region for the next few days.
“With frigid weather expected to drop temperatures to sub-zero levels and extreme wind chill, everyone who needs shelter during the day or night will have a warm place to go and a warm bed to sleep in,” said Mayor Ganim. “We want to make sure everyone who needs a place to go will start making plans now. The cold weather protocol is activated now and will stay activated for the entire weekend.”
Warming Centers are open during the day at the following locations and times:
· Greater Bridgeport Transit Bus Terminal – 710 Water St, Bridgeport CT (7:00am-9:30pm)
· East Side Senior Center- 1057 East Main St Bridgeport, CT (9:00am-4:30pm)
· Black Rock Senior Center- 2676 Fairfield Ave Bridgeport, CT (9:00am-4:30pm)
· North End Bethany Senior Center – 20 Throme St Bridgeport CT (9:00am-4:30pm)
Bridgeport Public Library Branches:
· Main Branch – 925 Broad Street, 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. today and Saturday, 1:00-5:00 p.m. Sunday
· Black Rock Branch – 2705 Fairfield Avenue, 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. today and Saturday
· Newfield Branch – 1230 Stratford Avenue, 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. today and Saturday
· North Branch – 3455 Madison Avenue, 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. today and Saturday
· Old Mill Green Branch – 1677 East Main Street, 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. today and Saturday
For anyone in need of shelter overnight who does not already have a place to stay in Bridgeport, the United Congregational Church located at 877 Park Avenue will be available. In order to register for that location, people can arrive at the Harrison Apartments on 651 State St, Bridgeport, CT 06604 from 4pm-6pm.
· After 6:00 pm, those in need of shelter can go directly to Prospect House located at 392 Prospect St, Bridgeport, CT 06604.
· After 9:30pm – those in need can call Prospect House at 203-610-6252 to be put into the overflow shelter at United Congregational Church. The church however does not accept walk-ins without going through intake at either the Harrison Apartments or Prospect House. Anyone who knows in advance that they will need shelter after 9:00pm is asked to call Prospect House prior to 6:00 p.m. to go through the intake process.